Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

Saved from the compost heap

I don't know about you, but I seem to struggle a lot with house plants! They start off looking beautiful but never seem to stay that way. It might be something to do with the fact that I often forget them so any plant needs to be very sturdy to survive in our house.

I also get annoyed with flowering plants that are in full bloom when you get them and then never seem to flower again. How long do you keep them? Two years, three, even four in the vain hope that they will suddenly delight you with their original glory?

I have a couple such plants - orchids to be precise. I don't know much about orchids but I do think they seem to like bathrooms as that seems to be where most people keep theirs. I have had one particular orchid for very many years now and I am beginning to work out that it seems to flower every other year. And this year I am in luck. What a stunning display it has put on for me. There are three stems heaving with flowers and it delights me every time I go into the bathroom.
I also have another orchid that I was given when Justin was born and it has never flowered since; I am giving it one last chance but if there are no signs of any flowers by the time Justin is four in January then it really is for the compost heap! I might resort to buying a fake plant as I really like the pot it is in!!
© 2012 Nicola Noble: Please observe the rules of copyright and blog etiquette. If you use my ideas or images, please link back to my blog. And do let me know - I'd love to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment